Today, I'm chatting with Heather Hawkins of Elevation Strategy, a PR agency that focuses on solopreneurs and personal brands. I'll admit, I was totally not up to speed with how much momentum and reach is available to us solopreneurs through PR and traditional media outlets. In the world of social and building your own platforms, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that there is still a lot of power in utilizing those existing outlets and networks to grow your business in the way you want to.
During our conversation, Heather busts some myths around the difficulty of PR, she shares her simple system for getting up and running and explains the power in leveraging public relations for developing a future proof brand.
“Own your snowball.”
Some things we talk about in this episode:
- Using strategic thinking
- Input and the power of media coverage
- By-lined content vs earned visibility space
- Looking at media thoughtfully
- Make outreach with natural conversation
- Press releases are a crappy way to tell a story
- Reach out to reporters with a direct email or on social media
- Developing relationships for premium placement, “halo of endorsement”
- Biggest hurdle people run into with PR: over PR it, over complicate it
- A simple email is far more effective than a press release
- If you can have a dinner party conversation, you can reach out to media
- Create structure around your work and play
Tips for finding white space:
Wake up early
Don’t open email until your kids wake up
Have your time then allow others in
Block out times for what you want to do every day
Ground yourself before you jump into work
Questions for Heather:
Q: What are you reading?
Q: What’s your superpower?
Fake: Ability to hear annoying mouth sounds without wanting to choke someone
Real: Clear sight for other people’s situations
Q: What’s an exciting mission you/your team/your family on now?
Empower people and reverse myths that are being propagated around individuals doing their own PR.
Helpful links mentioned:
BONUS: Tips for Leveraging Public Relations
- Who are you? What do you stand for? What problems does your target audience have?
- What media do you see yourself in?
- Watch, listen, & engage
- Understand what these outlets care about
Thank you so much for tuning in to the BrainSpace Optimized Podcast! Want more?